On Saturday, November 9, Brother James Nathaniel completed his spiritual direction training with the Mercy Center in Burlingame, CA. The program titled, "Spiritual Direction Institute: Art and Practice of Spiritual Direction" is a formation program in spiritual direction designed to assist participants to deepen their call and further develop their skills in the ministry of spiritual direction.
To complete the program, Br. James Nathaniel had to complete the following, among other requirements:
1. Engage in regular spiritual direction for himself
2. Learn the history and theological assumptions of spiritual direction
3. Discern the call to be a spiritual director
4. Meet monthly with a spiritual direction supervisor
5. Learn about different styles and practices of prayer
6. Meet with multiple directees as an intern
7. Develop a life of prayer and contemplation
8. Provide written reports and papers related to spiritual direction and personal discernment
After his graduation from the nearly 3 year long endeavor, the Brothers provided a truly surprise celebration in commemoration of his certification.
Brother James Nathaniel can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org